Friday, February 1, 2013

Tasting-Rex-Goliath Cabernet Sauvignon



Name:  Rex-Goliath Cabernet Sauvignon

Variety:  Cabernet Sauvignon

Region:  see below, "Country"

Country:  Grapes imported by Rex-Goliath from Chile. Wine apparently produced and bottled in California.  On line information from winery indicates "appellation" is California.  At tasting event, representative indicated that Rex-Goliath imports grapes  and then uses these in their process.  Label indicates: "imported and bottled by HRM Rex-Goliath Winery."

Year:  not clearly marked, and I even bought a bottle because by wife liked it at the tasting we went to.  From winemakers on line description, this wine receives a 1 or 2 year French or American oak treatment, so I would guess 2011 or 2012.

Price:  $6.99

Winemaker's Comments from website: 
Dark and intense in color. Hints of cedar and oak, with layers of raspberry, plum, mocha and currant. Smooth tannins with big fruit flavors lead to a lengthy and persistent finish.

My review:  I tasted this wine at Fresh Market-Roanoke's weekly tasting.  Nose was not as apparent as some better cabernet-sauvignons that I have had.  Hints of cherry.  Finish unremarkable.  I did not have any food with this wine.  Overall, ok, but I'll let my wife drink most of this bottle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment